September 17, 2019
September 17, 2019
Buildings and construction are responsible for 39% of global energy-related carbon emissions. World Green Building Week, taking place from September 23 to 29, this year aims to raise awareness of the carbon emissions from all stages of a building’s lifecycle. The Serbia Green Building Council (SrbGBC) is organizing the campaign for the ninth year running with a series of events and activities.
Heating, powering, and cooling buildings (in-use) contributes 28% to global energy-related carbon emissions, while 11% of these emissions refer to carbon released during the construction process and material manufacturing (embodied emissions). Themed #BuildingLife this year, World Green Building Week is seeking to explore how to create a green, healthy, and climate-resilient built environment for all.
To date, the building and construction industry’s focus has been on operational emissions and how buildings actually perform in-use.
However, in order to fully decarbonize by 2050 to keep global warming to below 1.5 degrees, the building and construction sector must also tackle embodied emissions from the entire building lifecycle, according to the World Green Building Council (WorldGBC), whose members include the Serbia Green Building Council (SrbGBC).
Events and activities in Serbia
The following events and activities will be organized as part of World Green Building Week in Serbia:
- September 23 – Workshop for children at the Center for the Promotion of Science
- September 24 – Open Door Day at several member companies of the SrbGBC
- September 25 – Conference at the Belgrade Cultural Center (KCB)
- September 26 – Panel discussion at the Nova Iskra hub
- September 27 – Participation in the European Researchers’ Night
The SrbGBC members include the University of Belgrade Faculty of Architecture and the University of Belgrade Faculty of Civil Engineering.
According to the SrbGBC website, its member companies are:
- Alu Koenig Stahl
- Balkans Real Estate/MPC Properties brand
- Biro 59
- Božović, Đelić & Ivković
- Gudmark Group
- Immorent Singidunum, part of Erste Group Immorent
- Knauf Insulation
- Novaston Project Management
- Saint Gobain
- TEMELj eco friendly TV & NET show
Be the first one to comment on this article.