Electricity

Šahmanović: Montenegro is facing its most challenging year for energy sector

montenegro admir sahmanovic energetika teska godina pljevlja potrosnja struje

Photo: Government of Montenegro

Published

November 20, 2025

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

November 20, 2025

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Montenegro is facing its most challenging year for the energy sector, Minister of Energy and Mining Admir Šahmanović stressed.

State-owned power utility Elektroprivreda Crne Gore (EPCG) will suffer a loss of around EUR 80 million given that the Pljevlja coal power plant is offline, while electricity consumption is rising amid increases in prices of other energy sources, Admir Šahmanović told TV Vijesti.

He explained that development is focusing on the reconstruction of the thermal power plant, addressing delays in connecting solar power plants to the grid, and plans for projects including within cooperation with the UAE and an agreement with Italy on a second subsea cable.

Šahmanović: We entered this year quite wounded

The priority will be price stability and increasing the use of renewable sources, along with strengthening Montenegro’s position as an energy hub between the region and the European Union, he added.

“I can freely say that, regarding this year, it is perhaps the most challenging year in the modern history of Montenegro, exactly for the energy sector. We entered this year quite wounded given the fact that last year the hydrological conditions were the worst in the country’s history,” he asserted.

Šahmanović added the electricity demand in Montenegro has jumped 6%.

Climate change is playing its part

One of the reasons is the increase in the price of energy sources such as wood and coal, according to the minister.

He pointed to climate change as another factor. There is a growing need to install air conditioning units even in northern Montenegro, where there was previously no need for it, he added.

Therefore, in the minister’s words, the construction of other production facilities is inevitable.

Of note, EPCG’s executive manager of supply Jovan Kasalica said in April that electricity consumption in Montenegro has risen by 25% over the previous four years.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)