Environment

Montenegro to scrutinize small hydropower procedures, not to approve fresh subsidies

Photo: Pixabay

Published

May 28, 2019

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

May 28, 2019

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Representatives of the Government of Montenegro have announced that procedures for the construction of small hydropower plants (SHPPs) will be reviewed and that no subsidies will be approved for the construction of new SHPPs, local media reported.

Even though Prime Minister Duško Marković has made it clear that he believes the issue of small hydropower plants is politicized, it would appear the government cannot ignore people’s protests against the construction of SHPPs in Plav and Andrijevica, and as of recently on the Bukovica river.

“So far, we have not found a single abuse in the process of issuing approvals for concessions for SHPPs. These plants have made a significant contribution to our energy sector. We are carefully looking into citizens’ objections, taking care to determine whether they are founded and whether SHPPs jeopardize the environment, agriculture, or any other sector,” said Marković.

The government has instructed the Economy Ministry to once again check every document and determine whether any oversight has been made when awarding concessions for SHPPs.

“We cannot remain silent about any protest by any citizen, though I believe it is our institutional obligation as a government to review all those documents that were issued after concessions were approved, in order to ensure a concessionaire with orderly documentation can continue work. But if a document has not been issued in an appropriate manner, a concession agreement can be severed and the concession revoked,” said Sekulić.

Petition for a moratorium on SHPPs handed to parliament

Nataša Kovačević, executive director at non-governmental organization (NGO) Green Home, has said that most of the concessions for SHPPs in Montenegro have been awarded without proper planning and strategic documents or environmental impact assessments (EIA).

On May 15, Green Home filed a petition backed by over 6,000 signatures to the Parliament of Montenegro to ban the construction of small hydropower plants (SHPPs), as well as to stop issuing and renewing energy permits for SHPPs until a strategic assessment of the cumulative environmental impact of all of the approved SHPP projects is carried out.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

slovenia krsko 2 nuclea power gen energija financing golob drobne petrovic

Slovenia is capable of going solo with financing Krško 2 nuclear project

19 February 2026 - The latest report of the working group for the preparation of the financing model for the project was presented to the government

EBRD investment Fortis Energy solar BESS project Serbia

EBRD mulls investment in Fortis Energy’s solar-BESS project in Serbia

19 February 2026 - EBRD is beginning due diligence and structured talks with Fortis Energy on financing the company's Sremska Mitrovica PV and battery project

smr nuclearelectrica nuscale romania

Cernavodă nuclear plant upgrade more feasible than SMR project in Doicești – Romania’s PM

19 February 2026 - Prime Minister Ilie Bolojan does not expect the SMR project to be completed any time soon, given its high estimated cost and complexit

Papastavrou Greece enters new era with offshore hydrocarbon leases

Papastavrou: Greece enters new era with offshore hydrocarbon leases

19 February 2026 - Offshore concessions for Chevron and HELLENiQ Energy are marking a new era for Greece, said Minister of Environment and Energy Stavros Papastavrou