Energy Crisis

Germany to extend operation of three nuclear power plants until April 2023

Germany to extend operation of three nuclear power plants by April 2023 olaf scholz

Photo: Federal government of Germany

Published

October 18, 2022

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

October 18, 2022

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

After several months of public discussions and disagreements in the ruling coalition, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has decided to extend the operation of the last three nuclear plants. Their shutdown was scheduled for the end of the year, but now they will continue to produce electricity until mid-April 2023.

Germany is trying to ensure a stable supply of energy and lower the prices of electricity and natural gas, as their surge severely affected households and businesses. Before the war in Ukraine, Germany bought 55% of its gas from Russia. Currently it covers only 35% of the country’s consumption, so it is forced to import expensive liquefied natural gas (LNG).

Earlier, Vice Chancellor and Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Climate Action Robert Habeck suggested keeping two of the last three nuclear power plants in reserve until April.

The previous decision envisaged the shutdown of all nuclear power plants by the end of 2022

Habeck is the top official from the Alliance 90/Greens (Bündnis 90/Die Grunen) in Scholz’s government, so it was supposed to be a compromise, because the party is against extending the operation of nuclear power plants and it is demanding strict implementation of the earlier decision to shut all three facilities before the end of this year.

Another coalition partner – the Free Democratic Party (FDP), wants the remaining nuclear plants to keep working until 2024. Scholz, who is from the Social Democratic Party (SPD), had to make a decision.

The chancellor used his authority to order nuclear plants Isar 2, Emsland and Neckarwestheim 2 to remain online until April 15 to preserve the stability of the energy system.

The Greens reluctantly agreed to keep two nuclear plants on standby until April while the Free Democrats demanded that all three remain operational until 2024

Scholz asked the ministries of economy, environment and finance to prepare legislation for the extension, news agencies reported.

He also told them to prepare an ambitious law on increasing energy efficiency and a binding agreement on a coal phaseout by 2030.

After Scholz’s decision, Finance Minister Lindner said that it is in the vital interest of Germany and its economy that all domestic energy production capacities are online this winter. The chancellor has now created clarity, he added.

Operators of nuclear plants are preparing to extend the power production

The largest German power company, RWE, announced it would immediately begin preparations for extending the operation of its Emsland power plant.

The operator of the Neckarwestheim 2 nuclear plant has warned that the German government needs to provide a legal framework to extend the plant’s operation as soon as possible or that otherwise it would be shut down as planned at the end of December.

E.ON, which operates the Isar 2 plant, had previously announced that it would be ready to resume operations after an overhaul.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Dedovic Djedovic Handanovic ADNOC NIS management Serbian MOL takeover

Đedović Handanović: ADNOC would participate in management of Serbian NIS with MOL upon takeover

05 February 2026 - ADNOC would be part of NIS's management bodies in case of the planned takeover, as MOL’s minority partner within a joint venture, Serbian Minister Dubravka Đedović Handanović said

north macedonia energy electricity mickoski data centers western balkans davos

Mickoski: Western Balkans should unite to attract investments in data centers, electricity production

30 January 2026 - Speaking to TV21 regarding messages from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Hristijan Mickoski pointed out that he is working on this

croatia serbia lng natural gas interconnection susnjar djedovic handanovic

Šušnjar: Serbia interested in receiving natural gas via Croatia; Đedović Handanović: Just considering it for now

29 January 2026 - The capacity of the liquefied natural gas terminal on Krk Island in Croatia has been increased from 2.9 billion to 6.1 billion cubic meters per year

Lukoil provisional deal sale foreign assets Carlyle

Lukoil strikes provisional deal for sale of its foreign assets to Carlyle

29 January 2026 - Lukoil signed a conditional agreement to sell its international business under US sanctions to Carlyle, based in Washington DC