Electricity

Public supplier turns to court for electricity debt

Published

June 7, 2016

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

June 7, 2016

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

National Electricity Company (NEK), Bulgarian government-controlled utility, initiated arbitration and cases in commercial courts against companies EVN Elektrosnabdiavane, ČEZ Electro, and Energo-Pro Sales, which supply power to consumers. Energy minister Temenuzhka Petkova revealed information about the disputes in parliament in an answer to an opposition lawmaker, Mediapool reported. The companies are subsidiaries of Austrian EVN and Czech ČEZ and Energo-Pro.

The sole public supplier claims BGN 111.17 (EUR 56.77 million) in four cases for active power, and individual debts weren’t disclosed. Petkova said another dispute with Energo-Pro was settled, the article reported. Mediapool noted the case in question may concern delays in payment for power from renewable sources, where the state-owned company had liabilities of EUR 26.1 million and Energo-Pro had amassed EUR 4.34 million.

Separately, six more cases were taken to commercial courts. Three disputes worth EUR 3.77 million are pending against Enemona Utilities, EVN and ČEZ Electro, while another three claims of EUR 6.89 million in total were rejected. They were filed against Energo-Pro Grid, Energo-Pro Sales and EVN for debt for transmission, delivery of green energy and power from highly efficient cogeneration as well as for active electricity.

A commercial case against ČEZ Distribution was passed to Electricity System Operator (TSO). The claim is for EUR 2.98 million for debt for transmission, delivery of green energy and power from highly efficient cogeneration, and stranded costs.

NEK was, on the other hand, sued by ČEZ Electro and EVN Elektrosnabdiavane for expenses for the purchase of electricity from renewable sources under previously abolished methodology. The claim is for EUR 8.17 million and EUR 51.06 million, respectively. Separately, two foreign owners of distribution networks are seeking arbitration at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes of the World Bank against the state. EVN claims EUR 1 billion and Energo-Pro claims EUR 54 million for alleged losses in investments from the energy regulator’s pricing policy over the years. Back in November, ČEZ announced it will turn to court for “hundreds of millions of euros.”

 

Related Articles

montenegro cges profit 2024 aleksandar mijuskovic

Montenegro’s TSO CGES achieves EUR 25 million profit in 2024

02 April 2025 - Implementation of crucial infrastructure projects, investments in new technologies, and improvement of work processes were the decisive factors for the success

Power exchanges test cross border day ahead trading 15 minute intervals

Power exchanges to test cross-border day-ahead trading in 15-minute intervals

02 April 2025 - NEMOs in Europe are starting joint member testing on April 7 for cutting the cross-zonal day-ahead power trading interval to 15 minutes

heliup startup solarpower europe award stykon panels

Heliup wins European Solar Startup Award 2025 with solar panels 60% lighter than conventional ones

01 April 2025 - Heliup said it is committed to revolutionizing solar energy with lightweight solutions manufactured in Europe

Bulgaria IBEX registration market guarantees of origin electricity

Bulgaria’s IBEX opens registration for market of guarantees of origin of electricity

01 April 2025 - The Independent Bulgarian Energy Exchange (IBEX) is registering entities interested in participating in a market for guarantees of origin