Electricity

Bulgarian PM proposes electricity transmission JV with Montenegro, possibly Serbia

Photo: Government of Bulgaria

Published

September 10, 2018

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

September 10, 2018

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov has proposed for Bulgaria and Montenegro to set up a joint venture for electricity transmission, possibly with participation from Serbia, according to local media.

Borissov, who made the proposal during his recent visit to Montenegro, where he met Montenegrin Prime Minister Duško Marković and other officials, was quoted as saying that the joint venture would enable electricity exports to Italy, utilizing the undersea cable between Montenegro and Italy.

“I think this will be a successful project, and I hope we will make an economic forum in the coming months to prepare a similar structure, Montenegro and Italy are doing something unique, we have energy, we can do something like that,” Bulgarian news agency Novinite quoted Borissov as saying.

According to the media in Montenegro and Serbia, Borissov told a news conference in Podgorica the deal could involve Montenegro’s symbolic participation in the construction of a nuclear power plant in Bulgaria.

Italy-Montenegro interconnector project targeted for completion by end-2019

Italian energy company Terna said earlier it plans to complete the Italy-Montenegro electricity interconnector project by the end of 2019, slipping the project conclusion from the previously targeted date in 2018, while also halving the planned initial capacity to 600 MW.

The submarine cable has been laid, receiving points completed, and the first link should go on stream in late 2019, Terna CEO Luigi Ferraris was quoted as saying.

Terna has reduced the planned interconnector transfer capacity from 1.2 GW to an initial 600 MW, Ferraris told analysts, noting that a compromise on the matter has been reached with Montenegrin counterparts, according to earlier reports.

In 2014, Terna pushed back the project completion from 2015 to 2017 over Croatia’s gas exploration in the Adriatic, later announcing it expected the interconnector, part of the 400 kV Trans-Balkan Electricity Corridor, to be ready in 2018.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Grzegorz Zieliński lead EBRD s South Eastern Europe

Grzegorz Zieliński to lead EBRD’s operations in South‑Eastern Europe

19 May 2026 - EBRD's new Managing Director for South‑Eastern Europe Grzegorz Zieliński is assuming the office at the beginning of next month, succeeding Charlotte Ruhe

No silver bullet decarbonizing energy intensive industries low-hanging fruits Belgrade Energy Forum 2026

‘No silver bullet’ for decarbonizing energy-intensive industries, but there are low-hanging fruits

19 May 2026 - While there is no silver bullet for the decarbonization of energy-intensive industries, there are some low-hanging fruits, said the participants of a panel within Belgrade Energy Forum – BEF 2026

serbia eu region bef 2026 cbam border eu western balkans

CBAM may hinder decarbonization and renewables, contrary to its intended aim

18 May 2026 - The European Union’s Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM) has caused serious disruptions to electricity markets...

NGEN Smart batteries AI are energy transition bedrock

NGEN: Smart batteries, AI are energy transition bedrock

18 May 2026 - The energy system of the future is decentralized, dynamic, and software-controlled, NGEN Group's representatives pointed out at BEF 2026