Environment

Public debate on new coal-fired power plant Kolubara B halted

Public debate coal-fired power plant Kolubara B

Photo: Kolubara mining basin (EPS)

Published

September 16, 2020

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

September 16, 2020

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

After an hour of heated debate, the public hearing on the draft spatial plan and strategic assessment of the environmental impact of the construction of the Kolubara B thermal power plant was halted. The project has so far produced numerous controversies.

Non-governmental organization Renewables and Environmental Regulatory Institute – RERI has announced that the representatives of the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure left the hall of the Municipal Assembly of Lazarevac without any explanation, while the ministry has said that it decided to end the discussion due to RERI’s obstruction.

The public hearing has already been postponed once. The Government of Serbia has decided to restart the 350 MW Kolubara B project after several decades and signed a contract with PowerChina.

RERI: Representatives of the ministries left the hall without explanation

According to a statement from RERI, the ministry tried, despite obvious organizational shortcomings, to hold a public session of the planning commission as part of the public consultation about the draft plan for the special purpose area for the construction of thermal power plant Kolubara B and the strategic environmental impact assessment.

Representatives of the organizers did not take notes

RERI said organizers didn’t write the official minutes.

After an hour of discussion on procedural issues, the representatives of the ministry left the hall of the Municipal Assembly of Lazarevac without any explanation, RERI said.

According to the environmentalist group, because of the COVID-19 the government prohibited gatherings of more than 30 people in public places indoors and outdoors while there were 40 people in the town hall and another 20 in front of it.

The authorities are preventing citizens from being informed about the environmental impacts of the project developed jointly by Serbia and China, according to RERI

There is a serious concern not only due to the obvious economic and environmental consequences of the construction of Kolubara B, but also because public authorities are increasingly depriving citizens of the right to participate in the decision-making process and to be informed about possible environmental impacts of the agreements between the Chinese and Serbian authorities, RERI said.

Ministry: RERI abused the public debate to draw attention to itself

After RERI’s announcement, the ministry said the organization’s obstruction prevented the ministry’s representatives to respond to all the citizens’ objections.

Obstruction prevented government officials from responding to citizens’ objections

The government cited demands for a larger number of citizens than allowed to enter the hall, obstruction of the commission’s work, requests not in line with the public insight procedures, as well as false accusations against the commission.

Public insight is an opportunity to improve public participation in the development of planning documents, but the non-governmental organization abused it to draw attention to itself, which caused damage to citizens, who have the right to receive all the answers, the ministry said.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

serbia eu region bef 2026 energy ministers panel cooperation western balkans

Western Balkan energy ministers: Alternative supply routes, regional cooperation are key to energy security

15 May 2026 - Energy ministers from Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia met at Belgrade Energy Forum 2026

Greece Papastavrou Serbia North Macedonia join Vertical Corridor gas interconnections

Greece’s Papastavrou: Serbia, North Macedonia to join Vertical Corridor with gas interconnections

15 May 2026 - Minister of Environment and Energy of Greece Stavros Papastavrou said the Vertical Corridor would be expanded to North Macedonia and Serbia

Emblematic Ag. Dimitrios lignite plant shuts down today in Greece

Ag. Dimitrios shutdown today leaves Greece with last coal plant

15 May 2026 - Today is the last day of operation of the Agios Dimitrios thermoelectric station, Greece's largest lignite-fired facility

Japan PowerX battery investments EPCG factory Montenegro

Japan-based PowerX eyes battery investments with EPCG, factory in Montenegro

14 May 2026 - PowerX from western Japan signed a deal with Montenegro's state-owned EPCG on planning 500 MWh of battery storage in the Balkan country