Energy Efficiency

New round of EIB loans for improving energy efficiency in Bucharest

Photo: Pixabay

Published

December 22, 2016

Country

Comments

0

Share

Published:

December 22, 2016

Country:

Comments:

0

Share

Two projects for refurbishing the multi-family residential buildings in the Romanian capital of Bucharest received financial boost from the European Investment Bank.

The European Investment Bank (EIB) said it  is lending EUR 15.3 million to finance the second phase of the thermal rehabilitation programme covering multi-family housing in the Bucharest’s Sector 6 municipality. This is the first tranche of an approved EIB loan for a total amount of EUR 40 million. The project will focus on thermal energy efficiency improvements of the building envelope (wall insulation, windows, roofs and cellar insulation) as well as optimisation of the heating systems with the aim to save around 50% of energy.

The total cost of the project is expected to reach EUR 54.5 million, says EIB’s statement . “In order to support this important energy efficiency project in Bucharest, the Bank’s contribution has been raised to 75% of the project’s cost,” it is said. The Sector 6 municipality will finance the remaining 25% of the project value.

The EIB also said it is lending another EUR 22 million, out of estimated cost of EUR 29.5 million, to finance the second phase of the similar programme for the refurbishment of multi-family housing in the municipality of Sector 2. This project started back in 2012 aims to refurbish 95 buildings by 2018. EIB secures 75% of the project’s financing,  the bank says in the statement released today.

“The EIB funds will help reduce the energy consumption of the buildings by around 50% and the total energy saved will amount to around 45 GWh per year once the programme is fully implemented. This will contribute to the much-needed modernization of the building stock, increase indoor living comfort, reduce CO2 emissions, improve the living standards of the people of Bucharest and encourage other future modernization and rehabilitation measures,” the EIB explained.

To date, the EIB has provided funding worth around EUR 460 million for  energy efficiency refurbishment of multi-storey residential buildings in various sectors of Bucharest. The projects are designed to help implement Romania’s National Energy Efficiency Action Plan in the energy efficiency domain, and assist the country to fulfill its obligations under the EU Energy Performance in Buildings Directive.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Energy demand insights Navigating resilient solutions for a sustainable future

Energy demand insights: Navigating resilient solutions for a sustainable future

27 May 2024 - In today's world, the nexus between energy demand, building energy efficiency, and environmental sustainability is crucial. As we navigate the complexities of climate change, finding resilient solutions to manage energy demand and enhance building performance is paramount

energy-intensive-industries-serbia-CBAM

Serbia’s energy-intensive industries brace for CBAM, seek state support to apply decarbonization solutions

22 May 2024 - Companies in Serbia are not afraid of decarbonization and CBAM, but are worried the state does not recognize what needs to be done to help the affected industries

serbia heating plants biomass eu kfw djedovic miscevic vucevic konrad

Five Serbian heating plants to be converted from coal, oil to biomass

17 May 2024 - Serbia will build heating plants in Niš, Bajina Bašta, Prijepolje, Rača and Novi Pazar to replace fuel oil and coal in district heating systems

succesful-first-part-of-energy-transition-balkans

Successful first phase of energy transition in Balkans, especially Serbia

13 May 2024 - The first phase of the transition to renewable energy sources in the Western Balkans has been successful, particularly in Serbia, according to Belgrade Energy Forum 2024, organized by Balkan Green Energy News