Energy Crisis

Germany still on the fence about full nuclear shutdown

nuclear-power-plant-shutdown-germany

Photo: ivabalk from Pixabay

Published

August 22, 2022

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

August 22, 2022

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Germany will likely proceed with its planned nuclear shutdown, though the government might consider keeping one plant running, according to Economy Minister Robert Habeck. The country’s plan to close down its three remaining nuclear power stations by the end of 2022 has been put into question due to the gas crisis in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

According to reports, unnamed government officials were recently quoted as saying that conditions had been met for a temporary delay of the three power plants’ shutdown.

However, Habeck, who is also the vice chancellor, said on Sunday that a delay would be the wrong move as it would cut Germany’s gas consumption by just 2% and would not be of great help in tackling the gas crisis.

A power system stress test might show it is justified to keep one nuclear plant running

Speaking to citizens at the government’s open day in Berlin, Habeck added that he would consider extending the lifespan of one nuclear power plant in Bavaria, depending on the outcome of a stress test aimed at assessing the electricity system’s resilience to a cutoff of Russian gas deliveries, according to reports.

Russia’s state-run energy giant, Gazprom, has already reduced its gas deliveries to the European Union.

Germany shut down three nuclear power stations in 2021

Germany’s nuclear phaseout was prompted by Japan’s Fukushima disaster in 2011. It retired three power plants at the end of 2021, announcing the remaining three would be closed by the end of this year. The three nuclear stations still in operation – Isar 2 in Bavaria, Neckarwestheim in Baden-Württemberg, and Emsland in Lower Saxony – have a combined capacity 4.3 GW, accounting for about 5% of Germany’s electricity.

Last month, Joachim Bühler from safety inspection operator TÜV said that it is feasible to restart the three decommissioned plants and that the entire fleet was capable of running for at least three more years.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Ministry of Energy Mining and Mineral Resources North Macedonia MoU Balkan Green Energy News Branislava Jovicic Sanja Bozinovska Balkan Energy Forum BEF 2026

Ministry of Energy, Mining and Mineral Resources of North Macedonia signs MoU with Balkan Green Energy News on cooperation and partnership

17 February 2026 - The Ministry of Energy, Mining and Mineral Resources of North Macedonia will expand its cooperation with Balkan Green Energy News in advancing the energy transition in the region

First Greek batteries to claim up to 157.000 euros per MW this year

First Greek batteries to claim up to EUR 157.000 per MW in 2026

17 February 2026 - The first standalone batteries to enter the system in Greece will get significant income, according to the electricity distribution system operator

serbia azerbaijan gas fired power plant agreement

Serbia, Azerbaijan sign agreement to build gas-fired power plant

16 February 2026 - The combined cycle plant is expected to have an installed capacity of around 500 MW, with the investment estimated at EUR 600 million

bih hydrogen project energoinvest epbih H2OIE cei

BiH starts working on national hydrogen strategy

13 February 2026 - The implementation of the CEI Support to Hydrogen Strategy Development and Know-How Transfer for BiH project began in Sarajevo