Applications for social and Earth sciences Summer School due before March 1
The Irish Centre for Research in Applied Geosciences (iCRAG) has invited postgraduate students and early career professionals with an interest in the nexus of social sciences and Earth sciences to apply for the ReSToRE – Researching Social Theories, Resources, and Environment international Summer School.
Applications are due before March 1, 2019. The summer school will accommodate 50 participants. A limited number of candidates will also be accepted from developing countries, economies in transition, and least developed countries, which include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Montenegro, Serbia, and North Macedonia.
According to the iCRAG’s website, this international Summer School will address key issues at the nexus of social science and Earth sciences:
- How do we as individuals value the discovery, extraction, use, and disposal of Earth resources?
- Do individuals understand the positive and negative consequences of using these resources?
- What activities are acceptable to ensure a reliable supply of resources and what are not – to whom, why, and under what conditions?
- What are the implications of the uneven geographical distribution of Earth resources on local, regional, and national communities?
- What ethical dilemmas play a role in the development of resources?
- How could companies in both the extractive and manufacturing sectors contribute to the debate?
Led by international scholars, practitioners, and stakeholders, participants will prepare discussion papers on emerging themes in this developing area of research.
Students will be offered the opportunity to present the output of the summer school at the International Geological Congress in March 2020.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate a strong motivation and a familiarity with issues, theories and methods that are relevant for research in the intersection of geosciences and social sciences. Notification of acceptance can be expected mid-March 2019.
Information on all confirmed speakers is available on the speakers page.