Electricity

Romania deploys its section of 400 kV Resita-Pančevo electricity interconnector

Photo: Pexels

Published

May 22, 2018

Country

,

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

May 22, 2018

Country:

,

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Romania’s electricity transmission company Transelectrica has launched a double-circuit 400 kV electricity transmission line between Resita in Romania and Pančevo in Serbia, under an investment worth some EUR 18 million (RON 81.5 million).

Construction work on the overhead line (OHL) started in October 2014, and the Romanian section is 63 kilometers long, with 206 transmission towers. The length of the transmission line in Serbia is 68 kilometers, including 203 transmission towers. The Serbian section of the line was put into operation in December last year.

“The 400 kV Resita-Pančevo OHL is a project of common interest, part of the Mid Continental East Corridor, and one of its main roles is to strengthen the national and South-East European (SEE) electricity system, Transelectrica said in a press release.

The realization of the 400 kV Resita-Pančevo OHL will allow the elimination of major congestion in the area of the Romanian and Serbian power systems as well as an increase of the transfer capacity between two countries and throughout the South-Eastern part of Europe, the company said, adding that the investment will enable Romania to achieve its mandatory 10% interconnectivity target for 2020.

On the Serbian side, Jelena Matejić, general manager of Serbia’s transport and system operator EMS, said that the Resita-Pančevo line has been the most important project for EMS in the past 10 years.

The transmission line is part of the Trans-Balkan Electricity Corridor, which will connect Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, and Italy, running from Resita in Romania to Pančevo, Obrenovac and Bajina Bašta in Serbia, then to Pljevlja in Montenegro and Lastva, and then under the sea to Villanova in Italy.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)