Electricity

OSHEE to invest EUR 294 million over five years

Photo: OSHEE

Published

August 23, 2018

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

August 23, 2018

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Albania’s power distribution network operator OSHEE plans to invest ALL 37.1 billion (around EUR 294.2 million) in the power supply facilities over the next five years.

According to the Albanian media, OSHEE’s investment plan has been sent to the Albanian energy regulator, ERE.

OSHEE’s representatives expect the investments to produce a financial effect of EUR 55 million annually thanks to the reduction of grid losses.

The company projects a decrease in power grid losses of 9.9% by 2021, while calculations show that a 10% reduction in losses saves EUR 50 million – EUR 55 million annually.

This will mean an investment return in between six and 6.5 years, according to Ceno Klosi, director of the economic department at OSHEE, Albanian portal Scan-tv reported.

The company also plans investment in maintenance and the metering system to reduce technical and non-technical grid losses and to increase the security of supply. Investments in 2018 are projected to ALL 8.8 billion (some EUR 70 million), which is the highest annual amount under the five-year investment plan.

In 2019, OSHEE plans to invest ALL 7.7 billion (around EUR 61.2 million), in 2020 ALL 8.4 billion (EUR 66.8 million), in 2021 ALL 7.5 billion (EUR 59.7 million), and in the last year of the program, 2022, ALL 4.7 billion (EUR 37.4 million).

Power recovery project launched in 2014 in cooperation with World Bank

The Albanian government and the World Bank launched a power recovery project in 2014 with the objective of improving the reliability of power supply and the financial viability of the power sector. The goals included minimizing electricity losses, which were at 45% at the time. According to the World Bank data, the losses were at 26% in May 2018, while the target is 14% by June 30, 2019.

The target for 2018 is 24%.

In January, the World Bank published a report saying that OSHEE had not fulfilled its objective of reducing losses under to the power recovery project.

In reaction, OSHEE CEO Adrian Cela said that the company will ask the World Bank to review the target of OSHEE’s technical losses under the project, the company said on its website.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

YESS Power BESS launch Novaci hybrid power plant third quarter

YESS Power expects BESS launch at Novaci hybrid power plant in third quarter

21 May 2026 - Battery integrator YESS Power's General Manager Sedat Akar showcased the Novaci hybrid power plant at Belgrade Energy Forum – BEF 2026

serbia eu region bef 2026 financing corbo ebrd cerovic unicredit strauss ggf

Renewables financing environment completely reshaped by market instability

20 May 2026 - Representatives of international financial institutions, banks, and funds discussed new financing models at Belgrade Energy Forum 2026

North Macedonia advances toward European guarantees of origin MEMO joins AIB

North Macedonia advances toward European guarantees of origin system as MEMO joins AIB

20 May 2026 - North Macedonia's National Electricity Market Operator MEMO joined the Association of Issuing Bodies (AIB) for guarantees of origin

Serbia OMV Petrom s target Western Balkans renewables investment BEF 2026 Popescu

Serbia is OMV Petrom’s main target in Western Balkans for renewables investment

20 May 2026 - OMV Petrom's VP Narcis Popescu revealed at BEF 2026 that Serbia is its main target in the Western Balkans for expansion in renewables