Energy Crisis

North Macedonia to declare state of energy crisis in August

North Macedonia to declare state of energy crisis in August

Photo: Ministry of Economy/Facebook

Published

July 25, 2022

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

July 25, 2022

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

The Ministry of Economy of North Macedonia plans to declare a state of energy crisis in the electricity sector in August in order to ensure a stable supply to domestic consumers.

North Macedonia declared a state of energy crisis last year in November for a month, but soon extended it for six more months until June 9. The main reason were the issues with the electricity supply.

Minister of Economy Kreshnik Bekteshi now said that in addition to declaring a state of crisis in the electricity sector, the ministry also intends to establish a commission for the energy crisis to allow government intervention to increase the production of electricity from domestic capacities. It means it would provide financial resources to state-owned firms for the upcoming heating season which, in his words, would be one of the most difficult ever according to all predictions.

Blackouts are not expected, even if it is not possible to import gas and electricity

Power outages are not expected, even if natural gas deliveries are halted, and the import of electricity from other countries is banned, Bekteshi said at a press briefing.

He stated that the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) approved EUR 100 million for the liquidity of power utility Elektrani na Severna Makedonija (ESM). The funds would allow it to buy electricity and also coal and fuel oil for the needs of its power plants.

Electricity will be produced by all power plants owned by ESM

Coal and fuel oil will be purchased for the three units of thermal power plant REK Bitola, the thermal power plant in the REK Oslomej complex, and the fuel-oil-fueled Negotino facility, Bekteshi said and added the country must preserve hydropower capacities for the winter.

Bekteshi pointed out that the government is looking for alternatives if Gazprom halts gas deliveries, as the country is 100% supplied by the Russian company. One of the options is to switch heating plants and industrial facilities to fuel oil, and if transport capacities via Bulgaria could be leased, gas will be imported from Azerbaijan or Turkey.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)