Gender workshop - UNECE–Global Water Partnership ADA June 23, 2021
Electricity

HPP Buk Bijela groundbreaking to be held on May 17

Drina-Buk-Bijela-hydropower-plant

Photo: Pixabay/kokas4oka

Published

May 4, 2021

Comments

0

Share

Published:

May 4, 2021

Comments:

0

Share

A groundbreaking ceremony for hydropower plant (HPP) Buk Bijela on the Drina river, a joint project of Serbia and the Serb-dominated entity Republic of Srpska, will take place on May 17, Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabić has said. The construction of HPP Buk Bijela, according to earlier announcements, will cost EUR 200 million.

HPP Buk Bijela, with an installed capacity of 93 MW, is the first phase of a larger joint project that would include building two more hydropower plants – HPP Foča (44 MW) and HPP Paunci (43 MW).

According to previous announcements, HPP Buk Bijela should be completed within six years.

The three hydropower plants will together cost EUR 520 million to build

Last November, Brnabić and the Republic of Srpska’s Prime Minister Radovan Višković signed a joint statement on the implementation of the Gornja Drina hydropower project. Brnabić said at the time that the three hydropower plants, with a combined installed capacity of 180 MW, will cost a total of EUR 520 million to build.

Serbia’s state power utility, Elektroprivreda Srbije (EPS), has recently become a majority stakeholder in the joint venture implementing the Gornja Drina hydropower project, with a 51% holding. The remaining 49% is in the hands of the Republic of Srpska’s government-controlled power company, Elektroprivreda Republike Srpske (ERS).

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment

Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Electricity prices for companies are rising - how consumers can ease burden

20 to 50 percent increase of electricity price for companies in Serbia – how businesses can ease this burden?

18 June 2021 - Serbia has been delaying the energy transition for years, but the impact of the energy transition in the EU has spilled over to the country through the electricity prices for businesses.

Energy Community launches tender for study on flexibility needs of power systems in region

Energy Community launches tender for study on flexibility needs of power systems in region

17 June 2021 - The Secretariat is seeking consultants to comprehensively assess the flexibility needs of the power systems of the contracting parties.

North Macedonia ecotax for oil slash VAT electricity 5

North Macedonia to roll out ecotax for oil, slash VAT for electricity to 5%

16 June 2021 - An ecotax of 5.7 cents will be introduced in North Macedonia for oil and the value-added tax on electricity will be cut to 5% from 18% for one year.

Luka Petrovic ERS intends to be regional seller of balance energy

Luka Petrović: ERS intends to be regional seller of balance energy

11 June 2021 - Power utility Elektroprivreda Republike Srpske plans to build hydropower plants and PV facilities, while wind farms will not be in its focus.