Renewables

Hidroelectrica makes plans to enter green hydrogen production

Hidroelectrica makes plans to enter green hydrogen production

Photo: Hidroelectrica / Facebook

Published

June 10, 2022

Country

Comments

0

Share

Published:

June 10, 2022

Country:

Comments:

0

Share

Hidroelectrica is looking for a consultant for a feasibility study for the design and execution of a green hydrogen plant made by electrolysis of water from the Olt river, with the energy produced by a future 300 MW photovoltaic park. The

The photovoltaic and H2 plants will be built on the Olt river, on the site of the hydroelectric reservoir of an unfinished hydropower plant in the central part of the country at Hoghiz. The project will have phased execution.

The first phase is for a photovoltaic park with an estimated power of 300 MW. And the second phase is for a hydrogen production plant with a target production estimated at 15,000 t annually. Hidroelectrica also intends to produce green hydrogen with a 100 MW hydrolyzer which will use water from the Olt river.

Hidroelectrica, the largest electricity producer in Romania, estimates a cost of EUR 2,5 million for the feasibility study and specifications for the turnkey design and execution of the photovoltaic park and green hydrogen production plant.

Hidroelectrica estimates a cost of EUR 2,5 million for the feasibility study

The deadline for receipt of bids is July 12, 2022, Hidroelectrica announced in a tender notice published in Romania’s electronic system for public procurement, SEAP. The material should be delivered within a year.

The project is called Proud Energy Management – photovoltaic park and green hydrogen production plant, and consists of the phased execution of works for the following components of the investment project, reports Economica.net.

Two phase project

In the first phase will be built a photovoltaic park with an estimated power of 300 MW. It will be located in the former basin of the Făgăraș-Hoghiz reservoir and its connection to the National Energy System (SEN).

The electricity produced will be used primarily to power the green hydrogen plant, built in the second stage of the investment, and industrial and domestic consumers are connected to the SEN.

In the second phase, a green hydrogen production plant is planned, with a target production estimated at 15,000 tonnes a year.

Construction of a green hydrogen power plant from hydrolysis aims with the help of a hydrolyzer with an installed capacity of 100 MW, using as resources the water from the Olt River and renewable energy produced in the photovoltaic park built in the first phase.

Hidroelectrica and H2 plans

Hidroelectrica, one of the biggest companies in southeast Europe is also involved in the Blue Danube project. The company currently operates a number of 209 plants, with a total installed capacity of 6,482 MW.

The Romanian company in partnership with Austria’s largest electricity provider Verbund wants to develop green hydrogen through large-scale water electrolysis in Romania, using a mix of green energy. The resulting hydrogen will transfer to the countries in the Transnational Danube Interreg program, Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Montenegro, and Serbia.

In the first three months of this year, Hidroelectrica recorded a net profit of EUR 263 million, up 70% compared to the equivalent period last year, and with a 30% lower energy production.

Hidroelectrica is majority-owned by the Romanian state with 80.06% shares, and investment fund Fondul Proprietatea holds the remaining interest of 19.94% of the company.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

BiH digitalization speed up investments

BiH turns to digitalization to speed up investments

01 October 2022 - A new application provides a customized guide for specific projects, with a list of permits, consents and other necessary documentation

Joint venture for floating offshore wind farm in Adriatic of 525 MW

Joint venture for 525 MW floating offshore wind farm in Adriatic Sea

30 September 2022 - Galileo and Hope Group formed a joint venture to develop the Lupiae Maris project for a 525 MW floating wind farm in the Italian Adriatic

Wind turbine Siemens Gamesa lay off 10 workforce

Wind turbine giant Siemens Gamesa to lay off 10% of workforce

30 September 2022 - Delivery delays and the rise in material costs forced Siemens Gamesa to cut 2,900 jobs as part of its restructuring plan

Wastewater treatment plant i Leskovac starts power production from biogas

Wastewater treatment plant in Leskovac starts producing power from biogas

30 September 2022 - The trial operation of the water, and sludge lines of the facility has been finished, and gas generators have been put into trial operation