The programme is ready for the 2017 edition of the EUSEW Policy Conference, Europe’s most important conference on energy efficiency and renewables.
Over 60 conference sessions will explore the latest thinking on sustainable energy policy, led by representatives of the European Commission, industry organisations, local authorities and NGOs. Dozens of activities complement these in the conference’s Networking Village, where participants can discover innovative policies and projects for clean, secure, sustainable energy and build alliances for future cooperation.
This year’s conference takes place in Brussels from 20-22 June, focusing on themes in the European Commission’s Clean Energy for All Europeans package of proposals. Some of the highlights to watch out for are:
- The opening session, with keynote speeches from Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete, Jerzy Buzek, MEP and Chairman of ITRE, Monique Goyens, Director General of BEUC, Bertrand Piccard, initiator, chairman and pilot of Solar Impulse and Claude Turmes, Greens MEP.
- The EUSEW Ambassadors debate – a panel discussion with six high-profile EUSEW Ambassadors, exploring their commitment to a clean, sustainable economy, with Mechthild Wörsdörfer, Director at the European Commission’s Directorate General for Energy.
- An Awards Ceremony with special guest Marina Toeters for the EU Sustainable Energy Awards, which recognise outstanding energy efficiency and renewables projects. The event will feature the 12 finalists before revealing winners of the competition’s four categories and publicly voted Citizens’ Award.
- The Sparkshow – an innovative game-style debate, where a panel of journalists will quiz representatives of eight projects after a three-minute project pitch (list of participating projects in attachment).
- The Buzzi & Buzzi experiment – a trial of innovative, low-energy lighting that also purifies the air, taking place throughout the networking area for the whole of the conference.
- The workshop “Youth on Energy” on 19 June, gathering 20 young people from across Europe to debate the current and future situation of energy.
A press lunch with Mechthild Wörsdörfer on 20 June, from 13:00 to 14:00, in the Aquarium room of the Commission’s Charlemagne Building.
Explore the EUSEW 2017 programme to find out more about the activities on offer. To sign up for the conference, log on the EUSEW website and register for individual sessions. But hurry – the deadline for registrations is midnight on 14 June.
Clean Energy for All Europeans
The theme for the EUSEW 2017 is ‘Clean Energy for All Europeans’, inspired by the European Commission’s package of proposals to put consumers and growth at the heart of the sustainable energy transition.
Measures in the package cover energy markets, eco-design and energy labelling, buildings, transport, innovation and investment, to implement the goals of the Energy Union. They aim to put energy efficiency first, make the EU a global leader in renewable energies and provide a fair deal for consumers so that they can benefit from reliable, uninterrupted and affordable clean energy.