Electricity

Energy Community opens infringement procedure against Montenegro over TPP Pljevlja

TPP-Pljevlja-infringement

Photo: Pixabay/PublicDomainPictures

Published

April 21, 2021

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

April 21, 2021

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

The Energy Community Secretariat has launched an infringement procedure against Montenegro for continuing to operate TPP Pljevlja despite the expiry of its sole thermal power plant’s opt-out period. The continued operation of TPP Pljevlja constitutes a breach of the European Union’s (EU) Large Combustion Plants Directive, according to a press release on the Secretariat’s website.

Announcing the infringement procedure, the Secretariat said that TPP Pljevlja has not met the stricter emissions standards set by the EU’s Industrial Emissions Directive that would allow it to continue to operate after exhausting the 20,000 operating hours allowed under the opt-out mechanism.

The approaching end of TPP Pljevlja’s opt-out period had been continuously flagged

The Secretariat also recalled that the approaching end of TPP Pljevlja’s opt-out period had been continuously flagged, including in the Secretariat’s 2019 and 2020 Annual Implementation Reports, and was finally confirmed by Montenegro’s annual report under the Large Combustion Plants Directive, submitted in March 2021.

In January, Montenegrin Minister for Capital Investment Mladen Bojanić said that the country’s authorities were negotiating a new deadline for shutting down TPP Pljevlja.

EU unlikely to approve deadline extension for TPP Pljevlja

However, Energy Community Secretariat Director Janez Kopač said in February that he did not believe the EU would agree to extend the deadline as it is rapidly pursuing decarbonization and a coal phaseout. In an address to  Montenegrin lawmakers, Kopač said that TPP Pljevlja’s environmental overhaul must be a priority.

In March, Montenegrin non-governmental organization Green Home said that the European Environment Agency had announced that the power plant had used up its 20,000 hours at the end of 2020.

TPP Pljevlja is the first thermal power plant in the region to use up the opt-out limit, but could soon be followed by facilities in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)