Electricity

Cyprus to spend EUR 40 million on energy storage

cyprus energy storage just transition fund

Photo: iStock

Published

January 23, 2024

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

January 23, 2024

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Cyprus has secured EUR 40 million for energy storage projects from the European Union’s Just Transition Fund.

The electricity system in Cyprus still lacks storage capacities for excess energy produced in wind and solar power plants, so the government intends to tackle the issue.

The stored energy could be later used for consumption or to conduce ancillary services for system operators, according to Minister of Energy, Commerce and Industry George Papanastasiou, Kathimerini reported.

Centralized energy storage facilities would be operated by Transmission System Operator Cyprus

According to the ministry’s plan, the centralized energy storage system would be operated by Transmission System Operator Cyprus (TSOC). However, it is against the internal market rules from the European Union’s Electricity Directive 2019/944, so derogations are required.

The ministry needs to submit a request to the European Commission for approval, Papanastasiou said in a written response to a question raised by a member of the Cypriot parliament.

The request was completed and will be submitted soon, he added.

Production and consumption issues are worsening

In March last year, TSOC warned that without systemic improvements, the rise in the share of production of electricity from renewable sources would force it to disconnect such units more often.

Namely, the transmission system operator conducted 15-minute rolling outages for an hour on March 18, sparking criticism. At the time, the media reported that the glitch was caused by sudden clouding, as it wasn’t expected in the forecast. It took a while for conventional power plants to make up for the shortfall.

Conversely, TSOC disconnected some solar power plants from the grid last January, when electricity production in the system was much higher than demand.

The company’s Executive Director Stavros Stavrinos has told parliament that further production cuts would be needed in the renewables segment given the issues affecting power plants and the transmission and distribution systems.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)