Waste

Third attempt to find concessionaire for Keleš regional waste management center in Niš

Photo: Pixabay

Published

April 23, 2017

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

April 23, 2017

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Regional development agency South (RRA Jug), will issue the third public call for the construction of Keleš regional waste management center in Niš, the second largest Serbian city.

Agency manager Bojan Avramović confirmed that RRA Jug will call investors to participate in open negotiating procedure, after consultation with city’s local government, which should happen by the end of June 2017.

Avramović explained that open negotiating procedure means that parts of public contract can be negotiated, but important parts of the contract, such as bank guarantees or price of the waste processing per ton cannot be changed.

The decision to look for concessionaire follows after the first attempt to construct Keles failed, because the consortium that applied did not send valid bank guarantee, while not one company applied for second call , valid during last year’s parliamentary elections.

Avramović said that investment is EUR 40 million worth, and that investors highly value political stability, which was the main reason why the opening of the third call was delayed after 2017 presidential elections. He adds that there are foreign companies that are interested, but they object that price that was offered (EUR 40 per ton of processed waste) was too low.

“If we would pay EUR 100 per ton of processed waste, we would have found concessionaire easily, but with that price we would increase more than double waste disposal bills for our citizens, and  that is unacceptable for us”, says Avramovic.

However, there is no rush for Niš because this city has alternative solution: existing city landfill still has available space, and since the Plan of detailed regulation includes opening of the new field, waste disposal problem could be postponed for next 10 years.

Public call for selection of concessionaire issued in May 2015 conditioned concessionaire to manage Keleš for next 25 years. During that period, municipalities of Nišava county and Sokobanja municipality would have been obligated to deliver at least 82,000 tons of waste annually. Keleš regional center would solve the problem of waste disposal for Niš, Sokobanja, Doljevac, Gadžin Han, Merošina, Aleksinac, Svrljig and Ražanj.

Tags: ,
Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

croatia zagreb zagrebacki holding loan IFC waste

Zagreb to invest EUR 56 million in waste management, low-emission machinery

28 November 2025 - Zagreb Holding (ZGH), the umbrella firm for the city's utility companies, has requested approval from the authorities for long-term borrowing

waste incinerator cogeneration energy heat

Novi Sad plans to build waste-to-energy cogeneration plant

21 November 2025 - Novi Sad has invited bids for a preliminary feasibility study for a cogeneration plant that would burn processed municipal waste

The cheapest fuel, the highest health cost How Serbia manages waste motor oil

Tens of thousands of tons of waste motor oil unaccounted for in Serbia

18 November 2025 - Auto repair shops in Serbia, obliged to dispose of waste motor oil, often sell it to individuals who use it for heating

croatia osijek waste separation unikom mayor radic

City of Osijek has highest waste separation rate in Croatia

24 September 2025 - Osijek, with a share of 57.92% of separately collected waste, is again the best among large cities in Croatia