Renewables

4.4 MW solar PV plant replaces landfill in north Croatia

Solar-power-plant-replaces-landfill-in-north-Croatia

Photo: Municipality of Gornji Kneginec / Facebook

Published

October 31, 2023

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

October 31, 2023

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

The concessionaire completed its 4.4 MW photovoltaic facility on the site of a former landfill in Gornji Kneginec in Croatia’s far north, the local authority said.

Municipal authorities in Croatia including the capital city of Zagreb are stepping up efforts on the energy transition front. Among other segments, they recognize the potential of landfills and of different types of waste. Projects and investments are piling up but the Municipality of Gornji Kneginec in Varaždin county is a rare example, even in entire Southeastern Europe, where the construction of a solar power plant on a former municipal solid waste landfill has already been completed.

Scientists, activists and farmers across Europe and beyond have increasingly been warning that agricultural land and protected areas aren’t suitable for renewable energy plants. They are pointing to the vast potential of roofs and degraded and polluted surfaces.

The concession deal was signed in 2021

Gornji Kneginec, located in Croatia’s far north, signed an agreement in 2021 with Prokon from Varaždin, giving the green light to the company to build, use and maintain a PV plant of 4.4 MW in peak capacity. It is located in the southern part of the former landfill. The land was remediated.

The investor got a thirty-year concession. The site, owned by the municipality, spans six hectares. Municipality chief Goran Kaniški said the solar power plant would be connected to the grid by the end of the year.

Operators of some municipal solid waste landfills in the region are collecting landfill gas for energy use and to prevent fires. Solar power plants have so far mostly been built on mining waste landfills while investors are also eyeing industrial waste sites.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)