Electricity

EU, US, Chinese companies interested in EPCG acquisition

Photo: Montenegrin Government

Published

January 9, 2019

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

January 9, 2019

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Companies from the European Union, the US, and China are interested in the acquisition of power utility Elektroprivreda Crne Gore (EPCG), Economy Minister Dragica Sekulić has said.

In an interview with Pobjeda, she said that strong interest implies a greater responsibility in the process of selecting a strategic partner for EPCG.

Montenegro will seek a partner capable of securing greater profits for EPCG and the construction of new production facilities, the minister said.

According to Sekulić, the Montenegrin economy does not need a buyer for EPCG, but a strategic partner to ensure the power utility’s development.

It is equally illusory to expect that enormous revenues can be generated from the sale of EPCG and that the state as a majority owner can secure the company’s sustainable development, Sekulić said, adding that EPCG has 2 exceptional power plants, as well as the best overview of development potentials in the country.

In 2009, Italian energy provider A2A paid EUR 436 million for 42% of EPCG. Eight years later it decided to sell the shares, activating the Put Option and offering them to the Government of Montenegro.

The Put Option envisaged the sale of the entire stake owned by the Italian company for EUR 250 million, paid in seven annual installments. However, the government decided to accelerate the takeover.

In the interview, Sekulić announced that over the next 6 months, the takeover of A2A’s shares will be completed.

Commercial use of submarine cable scheduled for H2 2019

The minister said that the testing of the undersea cable between Montenegro and Italy began on December 14 last year.

Commercial use or electricity transmission between the Balkans and the EU, through the transmission systems of Montenegro and Italy, is expected at the beginning of the second half of this year, she said.

Sekulić also announced the launch of tendering for the Komarnica hydropower plant (HPP) by the end of this year, and the start of work on tendering documentation for a project to build the hydropower plants (HPPs) on the Morača river.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro italy admir sahmanovic subsea cable solar wind

4 GW of solar, wind projects in pipeline in Montenegro – minister

04 April 2025 - Speaking at the Economic Dialogue Montenegro-Italy round table, minister Admir Šahmanović called for stronger cooperation between the two countries

Share coal power Finland nearly zero cogeneration plant shuts down

Share of coal power in Finland nearly zero as cogeneration plant shuts down

03 April 2025 - The now closed Salmisaari coal plant accounted for just 0.8% of the electricity mix in Finland together with three remaining ones

solar nuclear power prices europe eurelectric

Solar, nuclear lower Europe’s power prices by 30% in March

03 April 2025 - Solar broke a record in power generation in March for the third consecutive month, making up more than 10% of Europe’s electricity mix, Eurelectric said

PPC announces 5.8 billion plan for Western Macedonia, focused on photovoltaics, storage and data centers

PPC plans EUR 5.8 billion makeover of Western Macedonia coal region, including data centers

03 April 2025 - PPC presented a EUR 5.8 billion investment plan for the coal region of Western Macedonia in northern Greece