Waste

Rama accused of allowing import of 39,000 tons of toxic waste

Photo: Pixabay

Published

March 15, 2017

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

March 15, 2017

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama was accused by the opposition of allegedly allowing import of 39,000 tons of toxic chemical waste, regional media have been reporting during last couple of months . According to accusations, the waste came from Italy in 1,300 dumpsters weighing 30 tons each.

Leader of Albania’s opposition Democratic Party Lulzim Basha accused Rama of causing  serious threat to the health and safety of Albanians that is, according to Basha, tantamount to genocide. The Government of Albania has not responded to the accusations.

“This is what happens when crime and criminal activities dictate the agenda in the government,” said Basha adding the containers were brought in right after the government signed off on this project, keeping the public in the dark.

Late last year the Albanian Parliament adopted a new draft law that would allow import of foreign waste.  Authorities argued that this would provide a significant boost to the recycling sector and wider economy.

Environmentalists have protested and demanded for a referendum, while the opposition claimed that the bill would turn the country into a big rubbish bin. The draft is waiting to be signed by the president, Bujar Nishani, before it becomes law.

In the midst of controversy in September 2016, Prime Minister Rama assured the public that the law would only allow imports of materials such as paper, plastic, aluminum and wood. He claimed it would all be recycled, not buried or burned.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Eco bride Milica Lukić celebrates love with a sustainable wedding

Eco bride Milica Lukić celebrates love with sustainable wedding

28 August 2025 - The wedding of Milica Lukić, a researcher and environmental activist, shows that celebrating love can be ceremonial and moving while remaining sustainable.

EU donates EUR 240 million to Serbia for environment energy efficiency

EU donates EUR 240 million to Serbia for environment, energy efficiency

07 August 2025 - The EU approved EUR 240 million in non-repayable assistance to Serbia from IPA funds for projects worth an overall EUR 325.2 million

Council of Europe Romas disproportionately exposed environmental hazards North Macedonia

Council of Europe urges North Macedonia to improve environment, protect Romas from disproportionate risks

29 July 2025 - North Macedonia should bridge the gap between commitments and reality on human rights of Romas and environmental protection, the Council of Europe said

Germany supports Serbia in clean energy supply, environmental protection

Germany supports Serbia in clean energy supply, environmental protection

22 July 2025 - Serbia and KfW signed a EUR 135 million loan for the second phase of the Green Transition Development Policy Operation (DPO II) program