News

Minister confirms delay in electricity market liberalization

Published

April 29, 2015

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

April 29, 2015

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

The government remains on the decision to delay the electricity market liberalization, economy minister Bekim Neziri said, as quoted by MINA agency’s Macedoniaonline.eu portal.

“Full liberalization of the electricity market in Macedonia would lead to an increase in the household electricity price. Even the current prices are high for citizens, and therefore we remain on the decision over delay of the electricity market liberalization by 18 months. The ministry is analyzing the effects of the delay and we believe the decision is also supported by citizens,” he told reporters at the sidelines of the Macedonian-Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce assembly.

Neziri: We remain on the decision over delay of the electricity market liberalization by 18 months.

According to him, the government had already responded to the communication from the European Energy Community (EC), which urges for continuation of the electricity market liberalization in Macedonia within two months. Neziri stressed that Macedonia currently has the most liberalized electricity market in the region. “Forty percent of the Macedonian electricity market is liberalized. No other Balkan country has liberalized more than ten percent of its market, some are not liberalized at all,” the minister underlined.

Two days earlier, the Energy Community Secretariat submitted a reasoned opinion as the next step in the dispute settlement case against the former Yugoslav republic. “Prohibiting consumers to choose their supplier is another manifestation of the current government’s deliberate policy of systematically refusing to accept the country’s obligations under the Energy Community Treaty and, consequently, EU law. This trend has recently become more and more visible and manifests itself in several open breaches of Energy Community law, including among others also the non-acceptance of a binding target for renewable energy and the failure to respect Second and Third Energy Package rules in the gas sector when cooperating with Russian partners,” its press release said. The current problems in the energy sector mirror other problems of the country, which is sinking into isolation, the statement said.

Related Articles

north macedonia skopje energy efficiency public buildings

North Macedonia plans energy renovation of 14 major public buildings

28 November 2025 - The authorities have prepared a plan for the reconstruction of buildings used by the state administration for the period 2025–2028

EPCG CBAM Sahmanovic

Šahmanović: Montenegro still in talks on CBAM postponement

28 November 2025 - Montenegro is still negotiating a postponement of the European Union’s carbon border tax or an exemption from the levy

croatia zagreb zagrebacki holding loan IFC waste

Zagreb to invest EUR 56 million in waste management, low-emission machinery

28 November 2025 - Zagreb Holding (ZGH), the umbrella firm for the city's utility companies, has requested approval from the authorities for long-term borrowing

Voltalia receives license for Spitalla PV plant in Albania

Voltalia receives license for Spitalla PV plant in Albania

27 November 2025 - French renewable energy company Voltalia obtained a 30-year license for its Spitalla solar park at the Albanian port city of Durrës