Renewables

Greek farmers turn their backs on government program for photovoltaics

Greek farmers turn their back on government program for photovoltaics

Photo: freepik.com

Published

April 29, 2025

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

April 29, 2025

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

The Greek government’s Photovoltaics in Fields support program has failed to convince farmers so far.

As part of the self-consumption program, farmers are supported for various costs, such as the purchase and installation of panels, inverters, batteries, as well as necessary technical studies.

Applications are accepted for two different project groups, when it comes to connection priority. The first is for installations of up to 10.8 kW and another for projects of 10.8 kW to 50 kW.

Selected investments are eligible for a grant equivalent to 30% or up to EUR 350 per kW. The overall budget is EUR 30 million.

Only 143 photovoltaic systems connected so far

In the year since the program’s launch, the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator (HEDNO or DEDDIE) received a total of 1,776 applications, of which 1,235 are still under evaluation. The first checks are complete in 794 cases while 377 projects are at the connection terms signing stage.

Only 209 applicants have signed them, while 143 photovoltaic systems have become operational across the country.

Operational restrictions weigh on incentives

The problem for farmers is that HEDNO has enforced operational restrictions in about one third of the accepted units. It means they don’t produce freely, but are subject to curtailments.

The government is mocking farmers

Therefore, profitability drops significantly for investors. It is notable that two out of every three farmers who originally applied didn’t continue the process.

Various agricultural collectives have reacted. Stock farmers of Elassona in Larissa spoke of “a mockery by public bodies, as they promised photovoltaics will solve high energy costs.”

The Ministry of Environment and Energy said it would extend the connection applications deadline by 160 days to include more investors. Furthermore, it would delay the required commencement date for the projects until the end of September.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

Energo-Pro upgrades 280 MW hydropower plant Turkey PV park

Energo-Pro upgrades 280 MW hydropower plant in Turkey with PV park

19 May 2026 - Energo-Pro built a 40 MW photovoltaic system in eastern Turkey and integrated it with its Alpaslan 2 hydroelectric plant of 280 MW

Grzegorz Zieliński lead EBRD s South Eastern Europe

Grzegorz Zieliński to lead EBRD’s operations in South‑Eastern Europe

19 May 2026 - EBRD's new Managing Director for South‑Eastern Europe Grzegorz Zieliński is assuming the office at the beginning of next month, succeeding Charlotte Ruhe

No silver bullet decarbonizing energy intensive industries low-hanging fruits Belgrade Energy Forum 2026

‘No silver bullet’ for decarbonizing energy-intensive industries, but there are low-hanging fruits

19 May 2026 - While there is no silver bullet for the decarbonization of energy-intensive industries, there are some low-hanging fruits, said the participants of a panel within Belgrade Energy Forum – BEF 2026

serbia eu region bef 2026 cbam border eu western balkans

CBAM may hinder decarbonization and renewables, contrary to its intended aim

18 May 2026 - The European Union’s Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM) has caused serious disruptions to electricity markets...