Renewables

EU expects Montenegro to investigate Možura wind farm allegations

EU Montenegro Možura wind farm

Photo: Pixabay/mamojdick1

Published

August 18, 2020

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

August 18, 2020

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

The European Commission expects a “credible, independent, and efficient” investigation into allegations of corruption surrounding the construction of the Možura wind farm, according to the commission’s spokesperson, Ana Pisonero. The corruption allegations had also been the subject of an investigation conducted by the murdered Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.

Assistant director of the Montenegrin Police Administration Enis Baković has said the institution will act “promptly and efficiently” if it receives a request from Malta through Interpol and Europol regarding the murder.

On the other hand, Montenegrin Parliament Speaker Ivan Brajović in June rejected the opposition’s motion to debate setting up a parliamentary committee that would look into the Možura case.

In a statement to Vijesti, Pisonero also said it is important that issues such as corruption allegations be debated in democratically elected institutions, given that the rule of law is one of the EU’s fundamental values.

The murdered journalist’s son claims her investigation focused on the then Montenegrin Prime Minister, now President Milo Đukanović

The son of the murdered Maltese journalist, who is himself an investigative journalist, has told Vijesti recently that his mother’s investigation focused on the then Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Đukanović, currently the country’s president, and his Maltese counterpart, Joseph Muscat, and their alleged links with the Azerbaijani ruling elite. Caruana Galizia was killed by a car bomb in 2017.

The investors will receive EUR 115 million in incentives in the first 12 years of Možura’s operation

The 46 MW Možura wind farm, Montenegro’s second largest, was built by a consortium of Maltese state-owned power utility Enemalta and China’s Shanghai Electric Power Company. The wind farm was put in operation in November 2019, following a EUR 90 million investment.

The investors leased state land for a period of 20 years, and should pay a EUR 186,057 fee annually. The state pledged to guarantee a fixed electricity price of EUR 95.99/MWh and EUR 115 million in incentives over the first 12 years of operation. The wind farm has 23 turbines, which are expected to produce 112 GWh of electricity annually.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

Slovenia net electricity imports rise sixfold in 2025

Slovenia’s net electricity imports rise sixfold in 2025

19 February 2026 - Slovenia's power exports fell 7% last year while imports rose 9.8%. The negative balance surged 525% on an annual basis.

EBRD investment Fortis Energy solar BESS project Serbia

EBRD mulls investment in Fortis Energy’s solar-BESS project in Serbia

19 February 2026 - EBRD is beginning due diligence and structured talks with Fortis Energy on financing the company's Sremska Mitrovica PV and battery project

Terna Energy clearance first part Vrohonera pumped storage hydropower project

Terna Energy gets clearance for first part of Vrohonera pumped storage hydropower project

18 February 2026 - A pair of neighboring projects for twin pumped storage hydropower systems are under development in northern Greece