Renewables

Abazović says wind farm Možura a priority for high-level corruption council

wind-farm-Montenegro-corruption

Photo: Pixabay/Oimheidi

Published

March 9, 2021

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

March 9, 2021

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Montenegrin Deputy Prime Minister Dritan Abazović has said alleged corruption in connection with the Možura wind farm is one of the priorities for the country’s council for high-level corruption, adding that he will soon start discussions on the case with authorities in Malta.

Speaking on Maltese NET TV together with Mario de Marco, Malta’s shadow finance minister, Abazović said it is of great importance for both Montenegro and Malta to get to the bottom of this case.

The 46 MW Možura wind farm, built by a consortium of Maltese state-owned power utility Enemalta and China’s Shanghai Electric Power Company, was officially put in operation in November 2019, following a EUR 90 million investment. The state had pledged a fixed electricity price of EUR 95.99/MWh and EUR 115 million in incentives over the first 12 years of operation.

Before coming to power, Abazović demanded that the Možura agreement be scrapped

In August 2020, before he came to power, Abazović showed reporters a document which he claimed was proof of corruption in the Možura case, calling on authorities to scrap the agreement, arrest those responsible, and bring the wind farm back into the state’s hands.

Abazović linked the alleged malfeasance in the Možura project to the murder of a Maltese journalist, adding that the project also caused EUR 115 million in damage to Montenegrin taxpayers.

The European Commission also expects investigation into Možura

Maltese investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was killed by a car bomb in 2017. Her son, who is himself an investigative journalist, told Vijesti last year that his mother’s investigation focused on the then Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Đukanović, currently the country’s president, as well as the then Maltese prime minister, Joseph Muscat.

In August last year, European Commission spokesperson Ana Pisonero said that the EU executive expected a “credible, independent, and efficient” investigation into allegations of corruption surrounding the Možura wind farm project.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

serbia eu region bef 2026 cbam border eu western balkans

CBAM may hinder decarbonization and renewables, contrary to its intended aim

18 May 2026 - The European Union’s Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM) has caused serious disruptions to electricity markets...

NGEN Smart batteries AI are energy transition bedrock

NGEN: Smart batteries, AI are energy transition bedrock

18 May 2026 - The energy system of the future is decentralized, dynamic, and software-controlled, NGEN Group's representatives pointed out at BEF 2026

Establishing a Robust Transmission Grid: The Essential Role of Balkan TSOs in the Green Transition

Balkan TSOs face green transition challenge: grids must keep pace with energy shift

18 May 2026 - Investments in grids, digitalization, and energy storage are key to ensuring security of electricity supply amid rapid decarbonization, representatives of regional TSOs said at Belgrade Energy Forum (BEF 2026)

serbia eu region bef 2026 energy ministers panel cooperation western balkans

Western Balkan energy ministers: Alternative supply routes, regional cooperation are key to energy security

15 May 2026 - Energy ministers from Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia met at Belgrade Energy Forum 2026