Electricity

Italy’s TSO Terna advances project for another subsea power interconnection with Greece

Italy Terna subsea power interconnection Greece

Photo: Terna

Published

October 20, 2023

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

October 20, 2023

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

Italy and Greece are preparing to expand their electricity interconnection capacity to 1.5 GW by laying two cables of 1 GW in total on the seabed. Terna, the Italian transmission system operator, expects the investment to reach EUR 750 million.

Terna is conducting a public consultation procedure about its plan to install two submarine high-voltage direct current (HVDC) cables together with its Greek counterpart, the Independent Power Transmission Operator (IPTO or Admie). They aim to boost the interconnection between the two countries. The GR.ITA 2 line would go from Melendugno, on the Adriatic coast in Apulia, under the Strait of Otranto and Ionian Sea to Thesprotia (Tesprozia), located across the way from the southern tip of the island of Corfu.

The subsea section is planned to be 250 kilometers long. On the Italian side, the interconnector would also have an underground alternating current (AC) segment of 50 kilometers, to Galatina. It is the site of a future conversion station, according to Terna. Italy’s transmission also said system operator said it expects to invest EUR 750 million.

GR.ITA 2 would expand the total capacity on the border to 1.5 GW. The two companies commissioned the existing 400 kV interconnector in 2001. It runs through Otranto to Galatina. On the other side, the line lands in Aetos and continues to Arachthos.

Terna: Dialogue with institutions, associations and especially citizens will be essential for the project

Terna is holding a series of meetings with the representatives of institutions and local communities in seven affected municipalities in the province of Lecce. Dialogue with institutions, associations and especially citizens will be essential for the project, the company stressed.

The TSO already conducted a voluntary consultation last year. It said the process helped it prepare proposals for the locations of the transformer, the underground cables and the landing site.

The requirements that the company has decided to comply with voluntarily will allow for lower carbon dioxide emissions and energy consumption, the ability to choose locations that are structurally accessible and to promote products for recycling and reuse, according to the update.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)