Renewables

200-MW-plus Briska Gora solar project draws three bids

Photo: Pixabay

Published

September 4, 2018

Country

Comments

comments icon

0

Share

Published:

September 4, 2018

Country:

Comments:

comments icon

0

Share

A project to build a solar power plant with an installed capacity of more than 200 MW on the Briska Gora locality has attracted three bids – from a consortium of Finland’s state energy company Fortum and Montenegro’s state power utility Elektroprivreda Crne Gore (EPCG), Chinese-Maltese International Renewable Energy Development Limited (IREDL), and the Montesolar consortium, according to a statement from the Montenegrin Ministry of Economy.

The Briska Gora solar power plant project in the municipality of Ulcinj will not require citizens to finance it through incentives collected through electricity bills, the ministry said.

The tendering commission will propose the winning bidder to the Montenegrin government within 30 days, according to the statement.

The Ministry of Economy said earlier that tendering documentation for the Briska Gora solar power plant had been purchased by 11 companies, most of which from EU member states, the Middle East, and China.

The Ministry of Economy invited bids on May 19 for a 30-year lease to 6,621,121 square meters of state-owned land to design, build, operate, and maintain a solar plant with an installed capacity of more than 200 MW on the Briska Gora location.

The minimum required bid for the solar plant project is EUR 0.05 per square meter a year, or a total of some EUR 331,056 annually. This means the lease would cost no less than around EUR 9.93 million over the 30-year period.

Construction on the solar plant is to be carried out in phases, with Phase 1 to involve building at least 50 MW of capacity within 18 months of signing the land lease agreement, and Phase 2 the remaining capacity within 36 months of the signature.

Strong investor interest registered in renewables without incentives

The Montenegrin government recently said that the Ministry of Economy has registered strong investor interest in the construction of facilities using renewable energy sources without incentives for generated electricity.

In its 2018 report on Montenegro, the European Commission advises the country to move to market-based support schemes for renewable energy production given that it overshot its 33% renewables target for 2020 back in 2016, when the share stood at 41.6%.

“The country needs to move to an auction system compliant with the 2014-2020 Guidelines on State aid for environmental protection and energy,” the report reads.

Comments (0)

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Enter Your Comment
Please wait... Please fill in the required fields. There seems to be an error, please refresh the page and try again. Your comment has been sent.

Related Articles

montenegro zorana sekulic interview hydrogen program action plan ministry of energy

Sekulić: Montenegro is preparing for a hydrogen energy era

20 February 2026 - Zorana Sekulić, Director of the Directorate for Oil and Gas at the Ministry of Energy and Mining, is finishing doctoral studies in hydrogen

coal mining

Coal miners’ woes threaten electricity production across region

20 February 2026 - Miners at Romania’s coal complex CE Oltenia have staged protests, including hunger strikes, over plans to scrap meal vouchers and cut wages

montenegro electricity integration package eip market coupling energy community

Montenegro wraps up transposition of EU’s Electricity Integration Package

20 February 2026 - Montenegro has completed the transposition of the EU’s Electricity Integration Package, according to the Energy Community Secretariat

Albania KESH draft energy storage strategy with French help

Albania’s KESH to draft energy storage strategy with French help

20 February 2026 - Albanian state-owned KESH intends to draft an energy storage strategy with assistance from EDF and the French Development Agency (AFD)